Attendance and Short Term Independent Study Procedures
Updated 7/15/2016 and shared in the yearly Start-Up Packet
What is the process to report an absence?
Choose one of the following:
- Please complete the requested information on our “Report an Absence” online form. If you are requesting Short Term Independent Study for your child’s absence please be sure to select this option.
- Email the Attendance Hotline at email@example.com.
- Report the absence in person with the front office staff.
What is the Short Term Independent Study process?
- Short Term IS can be requested for planned vacations, same day illnesses, court dates, funerals, religious holidays, missing school for personal field trips, etc., should be scheduled with the Attendance Clerk.
- Requests made after the absences will not be allowed.
- Each student is allowed (3) three separate contracts per school year. Contracts can range from (1) one day up to (20) twenty days. Please see the front office if you have any questions.
- Requesting homework for your child’s absence is not the same as requesting a Short Term Independent Study contract.
For Same Day Illness:
- Please notify the Attendance Clerk no later than 9:30 a.m. to request Short Term IS for same day illnesses or absences.
- Contract and assignments must be picked up in the office at the end of the school day.
- If additional days are needed, please contact the Attendance Clerk each morning by 9:30 a.m. for an extension. Additional school work will be available after school in the office, and must be picked up in order to receive credit.
- Each Short Term IS contract must be initialed daily and signed by a parent in order to receive credit.
- Contract along with student’s completed work must be returned to the teacher on the first day back from Short Term IS in order to receive credit for that day.
For Planned Time Away:
- Please see the Attendance Clerk (3) three – (5) five days prior to scheduled time off. The Attendance Clerk will explain the Short Term IS contract, get the necessary signatures, and explain the procedures to you.
- The Attendance Clerk will forward the contract to the teacher who will prepare the assignments that need to go home with the student the day before his/her scheduled time away..
- Assignments must be returned to the student’s teacher on the first day back from Short Term IS in order to receive credit.
What if my child is absent and I do not want Short Term Independent Study, can I request homework to be sent home?
- Students are given the opportunity to make-up schoolwork missed due to illness or a valid excused absence upon their return to school. As a general policy, a student is allowed (1) one day to complete make-up work for each day of excused absence from school. Please inform the Attendance Clerk by 9:30 a.m. if you are requesting homework only, for your child’s absence. Receiving homework for the day is not the same as Short Term IS. A doctor’s note is required for absences of more than (3) three consecutive days due to illness.
What if my child is tardy?
- Any student who is not lined up, and arrives to school after the bell rings at 8:30 a.m., is considered tardy. Tardies due to doctor’s appointments will be considered excused only if accompanied by a doctor’s note. Any tardy over 30 minutes without a doctor’s note is considered Truant.
- Morning tardiness due to illness will be considered excused without a doctor’s note, but will be limited to (2) two per Trimester. More than (2) two per Trimester will require a doctor’s note.